[PyKDE] Re: Scalar types in KConfigSkeleton

Stephan Hermann sh at sourcecode.de
Thu Jan 12 05:27:32 GMT 2006

Hi,

On Thursday 12 January 2006 01:11, Akos Polster wrote:
> On Wednesday 11 January 2006 20:36, Jim Bublitz wrote:
> > On Wednesday 11 January 2006 06:49, Akos Polster wrote:
> > > Jim, I agree with all your worries but
> > >
> > > - don't we have a patch already making scalars types work? All we are
> > > asking for is to include it in the official release (assuming you can
> > > live with its quality)
> >
> > One problem is that I don't have the patch, and the links to it no longer
> > work. I'm assuming the patch is of sufficient quality - I just don't want
> > to start going the route of creating things like mutable bools or ints
> > for PyKDE.  I think if you want those things, there are languages that
> > already implement them. Also, if I make KConfigSkeleton functional now,
> > I'll have to live with it forever, or I'll break people's existing code.
>
> Somebody wrote here Ubuntu still maintains the patch, could this be it:
> http://ubuntu.linux-server.org/python-kde3/01-configskeleton.patch ?
>
> But then again, that's your choice and I'd be equally happy with a
> Python-only solution

this patch can be easily added again, well it's not mine, but from someone in
2004.

Actually, comparing Pythong ConfParser with KConfigSkeleton is comparing
apples and tomatoes.
KConfigSkeleton is one of the base classes for the KConfigXT system, which
should be KDEs future global configuration system.

And following defaults for KDE, PyQT should work as well with KConfigSkeleton.
The patch you mentioned worked nicely, but had a different syntax then the
C++ KDE classes.

So it's not a matter of "if we want it", it's a matter of fact, that PyKDE
should be as close to KDEs C++ Classes as it can be, to offer KDE developers
who wants to write in Python a decent compatiblity system.

BTW, Kubuntu, the Ubuntu flavour with the KDE desktop,  is going more and more
to pykde and since Kubuntu 5.10 we have sip4 pyqt and pykde even
pykdeextensions in our main repositories and shipping them on the default
install CDs, because some of our important distribution softwarepackages are
depending on these frameworks.
Python, as you all already know, is for Ubuntu (and even for Kubuntu) the
development and implementation language no. 1. And the KDE people shouldn't
stand behind a good and nice GTK python implementation.

Regards,

\sh