[PyKDE] eric3 debugging related questions - possibly feature requests

Suleyman Karabuk suleyman_karabuk at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 29 03:41:42 GMT 2006

I ran into the following difficulties when debugging in Eric.

1) I start debugging, all the debugger control buttons become active (step, stop etc..). I select continue and the debugger runs until the first breakpoint. While the debugger runs, the control buttons disappear, and I have to wait until it hits the next breakpoint.

However, sometimes a particular code segment takes long to run (by design), and I may want to stop the debugger and start over, or I may want to check some variables in the meantime. I cannot do that as it is. My only option to stop the debugger is to kill the process from the shell.

If there is a way to do this within eric3 please let me know. Otherwise , I would like to add this to the wish list.

2) Often times during debugging I need to isolate a few variables and follow their progress as I step through the code. As it is I can only filter out the variables I do not want to follow in the debug browser. In order to achieve what I want, I have to devise devilishly clever (or complicated) regular expressions to filter out all but the few I am interested.

Is there a way to negate a regular expression in the debug window ? If so please let me know how I can accomplish that. Otherwise here is another feature request.

Please add another tab to the debug browser. In this new tab, I should be able to set the name of a variable (say as a regular expression) to add it to an isolated watch list. So the set function would work in the opposite way compared to the current one.

This feature would be very useful.

Thanks for developing this great piece of software.