[PyKDE] Python-qt on Debian, more error messages

Gudjon I. Gudjonsson gudjon at mc2.chalmers.se
Sat Jul 1 10:16:48 BST 2006

Þann Föstudagur 30. júní 2006 17:36 skrifaði Andreas Pakulat:
> On 30.06.06 16:46:27, Gudjon I. Gudjonsson wrote:
> >    Here is a quite minimal version of my program. Just run the comile.sh
> > script and press "Start Measurement" several times in a row (wait for the
> > measurement to stop between presses). It is quite chaotic when it crashes
> > but in the end it will.
>
> Well, that doesn't crash here, but I use PyQt3,PyQwt,sip and Python2.4.3
> self-built and only Qt and Qwt from Debian. So there's a chance that
> their PyQwt or PyQt packages are broken.
>
> Also I had to remove numpy, because that's not importable here, even
> after installing Numeric.
>
> >    Since I guess it is a memory leak. Is it there some debugger that
> > might be able to find it. I feel quite bad giving the problem to you but
> > I will buy your software as soon as I become a little bit richer:)
>
> There's pdb, the python debugger, or if the crash occurs inside C/C++
> code you'd use gdb. However that would mean you have to built sip,PyQt
> and PyQwt yourself to enable debugging symbols.
>
> If you find that everythings Ok when building these yourself, then file
> a bugreport against the PyQwt.
>
> Andreas
Thank you Andreas
   I have to admit my stupidity. I made the python-qwt Debian packages myself
and I did the failure of compiling them on a computer with the nvidia
packages installed. I recompiled them on a computer without nvidia and now
the application works much better. I still get the following error:
   Xlib: unexpected async reply (sequence 0x3ab1)!
the user interface freezes but the graphs are still upgraded and  the
measurement is saved which is a big relief.
   Do you use Debian yourself? And if so, do you use version 3.16-1.1?
On the internet I read that this may be because I wrote the threading part of
my program wrongly or that some part of the libraries I am using are not
multi threading.
   I need two threads for my program. One to handle the measurement and the
other to keep the GUI updated. Do you know about any good example for such a
program? For example a python-qt program doing IO and keeping a GUI updated.

Regards
Gudjon