[PyKDE] Starting a PyQt application from a console daemon

Fabian Steiner lists at fabis-site.net
Sun Jul 16 09:30:36 BST 2006

Hello!

I am currently working on an alternative for the gnome-volume-manager
for multiseat systems based on HAL and DBus. Whenever the signal
'DeviceAdded' is received I would like to start a GUI-Interface where
the user can choose from different options. But now I am wondering how I
should start this interface. What is the most common way to do that?

app = QApplication(sys.argv)
ui = Dialog()
app.setMainWidget(ui)
ui.show()
app.exec_loop()

If I start it that way, I am not quite sure whether this will work since
I have got two main loops then (the one of console application and the
Qt one). Moreover, once the Qt application is started, it should run
independently of the console daemon.

Unfortunately, I can't think of any possibility to achieve this aim. Do
you have any suggestions?

I am looking forward to your answers :-)

Cheers,
Fabian