[PyKDE] Re: [eric3]api file generation

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Mon Jul 17 09:10:03 BST 2006

On 16.07.06 21:26:32, Timothy Reaves wrote:
> Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> >On 14.07.06 10:15:35, Timothy Reaves wrote:
> >>	How are these files in general supposed to be created?  I see the two
> >>scripts, one that generates for python and one for sip.  But I can find no
> >>information on a generic script, where I can simply pass it a directory as an
> >>argument, and it'll generate an api file for that.
> >Write your own. Looking at the api files it does nothing more than
> >extract all "symbols" out of the python api and the modules it finds
> >installed. If the python modules you need API for are already installed,
> >running
> >gen_python_api.py should be enough, I think.
> >Andreas
> 	Yes, thank you Andreas, for pointing out the obvious.  Very helpful.  I find
> it hard to believe I'm the first person to want to do this.  And as a
> developer, I so love reinventing the wheel.

Well, the code completion for python is not even near to good and I
think this is due to the lack of type information available.

In general I don't think the list of methods/functions as used by eric3
gains you much wrt code completion. All it can give you is exactly that
list of functions, it cannot provide "smart" code completion, i.e.
depending on the context.

@Detlev: If you read this, even though it might sound like I'm not
complaining about eric3 having no proper code completion. I know code
completion is not an easy thing to implement and I do understand that's
extremly difficult to do for python code (which afaik is the main
language for apps developed with eric3).

Andreas

--
Today is what happened to yesterday.