[PyKDE] Trying to use VendorId

Chris Dunscombe cdunscombe at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 17 15:06:36 BST 2006

Hi,

I am trying to make use of the VendorId program to create a signed Python interpreter but am
having some dificulties.

First some background.

1. I have a PyQt based application, for Windows, that I wish to distribute to users making use
VendorId and a signed Python interpreter. Ideally I wish to use py2exe to produce my binary
executable as this removes the need for Python to be installed on the target machine, this
requirement is high up on the requirements list.

2. I have successfully installed VendorId and built PyQt using the -i flag, with MinGW. This all
works fine. I've read VendorId documentation a number of times especially the section "Creating a
Signed Interpreter"

My questions are:

1. What are the basic steps I need to follow to achieve my aim? Is it:

  - Build a signed interpreter and link it with vendorid static library
  - Modify py2exe
  - Freeze my application using this signed interpreter and the modified py2exe

2. In summary how do I build/create a signed interpreter. Do I build Python from a source
distribution with a modified python.c / main.c as per the doc.

3. What command do I use to link the signed interpreter with vendorid?

4. What sort of modificiations do I need to make to py2exe?

I'm sorry if some of these questions seem trivial but I'm fairly new to this level of technical
details when it comes to modifiying software builds/compilation etc.

Any other hints and advice is much appreciated.

Thanks very much,

Chris Dunscombe