[PyKDE] Updated PyQt4 Documentation

Phil Thompson phil at riverbankcomputing.co.uk
Mon Jun 5 22:43:18 BST 2006

On Monday 05 June 2006 8:03 pm, David Boddie wrote:
> On Sun, 4 Jun 2006 18:54:35 +0100, Phil Thompson wrote:
> > I've updated the PyQt4 documentation at
> > http://www.riverbankcomputing.com/Docs/PyQt4/html/classes.html
> >
> > Although there are still many rough edges, this will be what's included
> > with the final release of PyQt4.
> >
> > Any feedback of the "you really should fix this before releasing" variety
> > would be welcome.
>
> The following classes are probably internal classes and aren't mentioned in
> the Qt documentation. They may be exported from QtGui, but are probably
> actually marked as internal:
>
>   QAbstractPageSetupDialog
>   QDragResponseEvent
>   QTextEngine
>   QTextFrameLayoutData
>   QTextItem
>   QTextStreamManipulator
>   QToolBarChangeEvent

Unfortunately SIP doesn't parse the \internal markup in the header files. Also
my system doesn't account for opaque classes - eg. QTextStreamManipulator.

Sometimes it isn't clear what's intended. For example, QTextInlineObject has
only one documented ctor - but it takes the internal QTextEngine as one of
its arguments.

With some handwritten code I could hide the internal classes but maintain
the "official" functionality - for example, lie to SIP that printer() is a
member of QPageSetupDialog and not QAbstractPageSetupDialog. With the
approach I've taken then at least all the functionality is present, even if
it means exposing more than is official.

If you are willing to confirm exactly what is internal then I can make the
necessary changes.

> Some classes are mentioned in the Qt documentation, but not in the PyQt
> documentation, perhaps because they aren't wrapped. I've ignored the
> classes for specific platform styles, ones related to QTest, and those for
> creating forms at run-time:
>
>   QAbstractExtensionFactory

[snip]

>   QX11EmbedWidget
>
> Note that some of these are for container classes and others are only used
> by Qtopia Core (Qt for Embedded Linux).

The PyQt documentation covers exactly what is wrapped, no more, no less.

> I've wrapped the Q*Extension* and QDesigner* classes for my own purposes,
> so you can have the .sip files for those if you want them. I guess you
> probably aren't interested in the extra work they would require right now,
> since you don't appear to have wrapped various other plugin-related
> classes.

I will include your stuff - but I need to get 4.0 out asap.