[PyKDE] PyQt4, my approach was wrong before or now?

Phil Thompson phil at riverbankcomputing.co.uk
Sun Mar 5 15:00:20 GMT 2006

On Sunday 05 March 2006 2:42 pm, sole at esrf.fr wrote:
> Quoting Gerard Vermeulen <gerard.vermeulen at grenoble.cnrs.fr>:
> > On Sun, 05 Mar 2006 14:41:10 +0100
> >
> > "V. Armando Sole" <sole at esrf.fr> wrote:
> > > Hi!
> > >
> > > In order to be able to use the same code with PyQt3 and PyQt4, I had
> > > written a small Qt4.py  wrapper to simplify simple cases.
> > >
> > > from PyQt4.QtCore import *
> > > from PyQt4.QtGui import *
> >
> > There are two namespaces Qt: one in QtCore and one in QtGui.
> > Qt.Vertical is part of QtCore, but this gets wiped out
> > by your import: from PyQt4.QtGui import *
>
> So, the fact it was working till the 20060218-snapshot was merely
> accidental

No, until that point the things in the Qt namespace and defined in QtGui
hadn't been implemented in PyQt4 because it needed a SIP change to handle the
split namespace.

> and now it has been corrected.

The current SIP implements the split by putting a Qt in both QtCore and QtGui.

> I'll have to think about an alternative approach.

I have been persuaded to change the SIP implementation so that Qt only appears
in QtCore and things get magically added to it when you import QtGui -
precisely to avoid bug reports like yours. I might get this finished today.