[PyKDE] Multiple PyQt version in one Python installation

Simon Edwards simon at simonzone.com
Sat Nov 4 22:08:22 GMT 2006

On Saturday 04 November 2006 21:38, Phil Thompson wrote:
> On Saturday 04 November 2006 7:47 pm, Simon Edwards wrote:
> > This would be very useful for PyKDE and KDE 4. Phil, what do you think?
> Yuck. So, in the hypothetical case where a binary incompatibility is
> introduced you then go through all your existing applications and change the
> Python source code???

It only applies to code brings its own wrapper C+ classes. It would be the
responsibility of the developer of the application to keep any
explicit "import sipX" statements in sync with what they are using to compile
their wrappers for their custom C++ classes.

> If you want module version dependencies then don't eggs give you what you
> need?

From what little I just read about python eggs, it looks like it kind of does
the things that I'm after. Would PyQt be able to fit into such a system? I'm,
supporting multiple versions and all?

> Why do you think there is something called libsip that a C++ class is
> compiled
> against?

sip.so. Point is, once a SIP wrapper for a custom C++ class is compiled it
then depends on that particular version of sip. Trying to run a program that
uses a PyQt compiled for sip version X, and uses a custom C++ class compiled
for sip version Y, will fail. Python programs can't mix two versions of sip.

cheers,

--
Simon Edwards             | KDE-NL, Guidance tools, Guarddog Firewall
simon at simonzone.com       | http://www.simonzone.com/software/