[PyKDE] Dependency on sip.pyd

Giovanni Bajo rasky at develer.com
Fri Nov 10 19:44:35 GMT 2006

Phil Thompson wrote:

>> What I would like to obtain is that modules generated by SIP do not
>> depend on an external module (sip.pyd). This is technically possible
>> of course, it's just that SIP was designed in a different way.
>>
>>> sip.pyd is a Python extension module - it is not a library and it is
>>> not linked against.
>>
>> This is the current design, I'm asking to add an option to change
>> this.
>>
>>> You can build it statically and have it built in
>>> to your Python interpreter - same for PyQt (though I don't test
>>> this). So you could create a project specific interpreter.
>>
>> To be clear, I'm not speaking of embedding sip.pyd in python.dll as a
>> builtin module. I'm speaking of totally *removing* sip.pyd as a
>> module, and just "put" all the necessary code within my own
>> extension module created by SIP.
>
> ...just like SIP v0.1 used to work.

You mean just like any other binding tool does? I don't see boost::python or
SWIG generating a module which depends on another one. You even list the
fact that generated modules are directly importable without a Python wrapper
(as those generated by SWIG) as a feature. I don't see why making them not
depend on an external module is not progress.

> No, I'm not going to do that.

Why?

I explained real effective troubles which are caused by the current design.
Binary dependency *is* a bad headache which seriously affects the usage of
SIP, and its choice as a primary binding tool within a company. I would
appreciate if you could explain your position.
--
Giovanni Bajo