[PyKDE] QAbstractItemView Question

Matt Chambers chambers at imageworks.com
Thu Nov 16 22:57:07 GMT 2006

Matt Newell wrote:
> On Thursday 16 November 2006 13:18, Brent Villalobos wrote:
>
>> I'm a PyQt newbie so maybe there's an easier way, but I wrote my own.  I
>> saved out various view attributes, swapped in a new model, and then set the
>> view to those saved-out variables.  It works well and to the end user the
>> table just updates without losing any context.  It's a little annoying to
>> code, but I was able to save out and set selections, sort order, vertical
>> positions, column size, and column positions.
>>
>> The problem with selections is when a new model has a different number or
>> order of elements.  For example, if the first row is selected in your
>> current model, then you can easily set the first row as selected when you
>> reload the model.  However, the first row in the new model may be a
>> completely different element.  I worked around this by designating a unique
>> key for each row.  So instead of recording which rows are selected, I
>> recorded which keys were selected.  Then I had to search through the new
>> model and find those keys and select them in the selection model.
>> -Brent

> Why not just avoid calling reset?  If you use beginInsertRows, layoutChanged,
> or whatever is needed, then the selection will be maintained automatically.
>
> Matt

Well, every row is updated every refresh, so it seemed easier.  It is
easier, if you don't take into account
all the state data gets blown away.  I just wrote models to sit on top
of self updating objects I was already using.
They don't know a model is watching them.  Seems like my data will have
to know a lot about the model
for this way to work properly, or I have to move all the updating into
the model.  I suppose then you loop
through your new data, updating, adding, and removing data?  My datasets
can easily have thousands of rows.
Has anyone done this and not lost GUI interactiveness?

Matt