[PyKDE] python 2.5 and pyKDE (was: compile error for pyqt)

Jonathan Riddell jriddell at ubuntu.com
Fri Nov 24 01:40:03 GMT 2006

On Thu, Nov 23, 2006 at 01:44:05PM -0800, Jim Bublitz wrote:
> On Thursday 23 November 2006 09:48, Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> > On Wed, Nov 22, 2006 at 11:05:19PM +0000, Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> > > When compiling pyqt 3 (3.16)  with sip 4.5 I get an error
> > >
> > > sip: QColor::rgb() has overloaded functions with the same Python
> > > signature
> >
> > Google found the fix being that I just needed pyqt 3.17.
> >
> > However now I'm having a problem compiling pykde with python 2.5.
> > Python 2.4 works fine but 2.5 fails complaining about not being able
> > to convert int*.
> >
> > Error at
> > http://kubuntu.org/~jriddell/tmp/pykde.text
> >

> The type Py_ssize_t isn't defined in Python 2.4. I don't have Python 2.5
> anywhere at the moment, so I can't tell if a long term fix is possible
> without some conditional code for Python 2.5 (don't know what type Py_ssize_t
> is).
>
> If you want a quick fix, just find the offending variables and cast them to
> Py_ssize_t (or declare them to that type).
>
> I have a turkey to cook at the moment, so I won't be getting to this today.

Simon Edwards found a likely fix at

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2006-September/068944.html

However I came across another issue with PyKDE 3.17, it creates a
symlink ln -s /usr/lib/kde3/libkonsolepart.so
/usr/lib/konsolepart.so.  That's not very elegant, but presumably is
there with good reason.  However it doesn't respect the DESTDIR=
argument to "make install" meaning you can't install unless you are
root, which causes problems in packaging.  Could it respect DESTDIR in
future releases?

Jonathan