[PyKDE] Interesting quote relevant to scripting KDE

Jim Bublitz jbublitz at nwinternet.com
Tue Oct 10 16:58:40 BST 2006

From this article (link from /.):

http://sztywny.titaniumhosting.com/2006/07/23/stiff-asks-great-programmers-answers/

Q:  What do you think will be the next big thing in computer programming?
X-oriented programming, y language, quantum computers, what?

A.  (Linus Torvalds) I don’t think we’ll see a „big jump”. We’ve seen a lot of
tools to help make all the everyday drudgery easier - with high-level
languages and perhaps the integration of simple databases into the language
being the main ones. But most of the buzz-words have been of pretty limited
use.

For example, I personally believe that „Visual Basic” did more for programming
than „Object-Oriented Languages” did. Yet people laugh at VB and say it’s a
bad language, and they’ve been talking about OO languages for decades.

And no, Visual Basic wasn’t a great language, but I think the easy DB
interfaces in VB were fundmantally more important than object orientation is,
for example.

The article is responses to questions from some well-known programmers
(including Guido van Rossum, Linus, Bjarne Stroustrupand James Gosling) -
interesting.

Jim