[PyKDE] PyQt4 installation issue

Detlev Offenbach detlev at die-offenbachs.de
Sun Oct 15 09:36:29 BST 2006

On Saturday 14 October 2006 20:24, Phil Thompson wrote:
> On Saturday 14 October 2006 6:17 pm, Detlev Offenbach wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > the latest snapshot of PyQt4 creates an API file for QScintilla. However,
> > this file is not installed by "make install". For Linux I propose to put
> > it in "/usr/share/QScintilla". Furthermore, the configure script should
> > get an option to specify the installation path for the API file.
> >
> > -a dir  where the PyQt4 .api file will be installed
> > [default /usr/share/QScintilla]
>
> I haven't decided yet how this should be handled. For example I might
> create a Scintilla subdirectory in $QTDIR with lexer specific
> subdirectories in that - and maybe autoload any API files found there.

Please no automatism. Give the user the chance to decide, if he wants to have
autocompletion and calltips. If decides against it, it is not neccessary to
load the API files. If you introduce a global API storage area, you must
include provisions for a per user API storage area as well.

> Or
> maybe have an configurable API path that is searched.

One per lexer type?

What should happen, if a user just wants to load a subset of the API files
available for a specific lexer (e.g. for Python there might be a python.api
and PyQt4.api; the user just wants to use the later one). With the current
API solution, it is the responsibility of the application to provide these
services to the user. Eric4 (and eric3) do this. QScintilla2 is a widget
meant to be integrated into an application and should provide the programmer
an API to access the service needed. I think, the current QScintilla2 API is
good in this respect.

Detlev
--
Detlev Offenbach