[PyKDE] QtDBus Support in PyQt

Jim Bublitz jbublitz at nwinternet.com
Fri Oct 27 20:53:15 BST 2006

On Friday 27 October 2006 10:51, Phil Thompson wrote:
> After working on this for a little while I've decided that I will not
> support QtDBus in PyQt. Reasons are...
>
> - A standard set DBus Python bindings already exist. These are still in
> active development but the current maintainer seems to be doing a good job,
> both in terms of backwards compatibility and ensuring they are Pythonic.
>
> - QtDBus is more difficult to wrap than the rest of Qt because of it's use
> of templates and its own type system. Not impossible to wrap - but there
> would be a list of "things to be aware of" and "differences between Qt and
> PyQt".
>
> - The extra work required would delay the release of PyQt v4.1.
>
> - As QtDBus is new to most people there isn't a large body of C++
> experience and code that could be ported to Python.
>
> I'm happy to reconsider this in the unlikely event that the standard Python
> bindings prove inadequate.

At the moment, it isn't clear to me exactly how DBUS and QtDBus will be
integrated into KDE4. The KDE4 source/binaries I have really only reference
QtDBus in klauncher, and that doesn't appear to work at the moment (although
the source and  binaries I have are over a month old, so that's probably
changed).

As I have absolutely no familiarity with DBUS, I'll have to wait and see how
it's implemented in KDE4 and then figure out what support I'll provide. It
may be supporting only parts of DBUS or providing something similar to the
DCOP extensions in the current PyKDE.

Jim