KDE 4 (was: [PyKDE] PyQt 4 on openSUSE)

Simon Edwards simon at simonzone.com
Thu Sep 7 22:03:14 BST 2006

On Wednesday 06 September 2006 13:46, Hans-Peter Jansen wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 5. September 2006 19:29 schrieb Joachim Werner:
> > SUSE has been shipping with PyQt/PyKDE installed in the default
> > system for quite a while. For PyQT/PyKDE 3 this was a no-brainer: The
> > HP printer tools are installed by default and need them, so we have
> > to install PyQt/PyKDE (or actually kdebindings3-python that contains
> > them) by default, too. ;-)
> which reminds me that the official kdebindings3-python package of KDE
> 3.5.4 is _way_ behind the current state of affairs.

True. One of the main problems here is that the copy in KDE bindings needs to
respect KDE's policies concerning binary compatibility between releases and
minor releases, while at the same time SIP and PyKDE have been on their own
schedule when it comes to things like breaking compatibility and bumping
library revisions.

Which brings me to a topic that I've been wanting to talk about for a while
now: synchronising PyKDE with KDE itself and its schedule. What I would like
to see in the future is KDE shipping each time with a complete and up to date
version of PyKDE included. To make this happen PyKDE development would have
to be opened up more. Jim has done a great job in the past developing and
maintaining PyKDE, but to do ensure synchronised releases with KDE it is
going to take more people to jump in and do what needs to be done before any
given release. I'm willing to pitch in to see this happen, and I see that
Pete has already put his hand up. ;-)

Acceptance of languages like Python and Ruby for GUI development has increased
a lot in the last couple of years. Kubuntu for example, relies on PyKDE as
part of its base install. (It is needed for many of the configuration tools,
and in the next release for the thier new power management applet). Python
support as a standard, and first class part of KDE looks like the next
logical step to me to help continue this trend.

cheers,

PS. Just the other day I came across this for the first time
http://www.kumula.org/ .

--
Simon Edwards             | KDE-NL, Guidance tools, Guarddog Firewall
simon at simonzone.com       | http://www.simonzone.com/software/