KDE 4 (was: [PyKDE] PyQt 4 on openSUSE)

Jim Bublitz jbublitz at nwinternet.com
Fri Sep 8 01:57:37 BST 2006

On Thursday 07 September 2006 16:51, David Boddie wrote:
> On Thursday 07 September 2006 23:03:14 +0200, Simon Edwards wrote:
> > On Wednesday 06 September 2006 13:46, Hans-Peter Jansen wrote:
> > > which reminds me that the official kdebindings3-python package of KDE
> > > 3.5.4 is _way_ behind the current state of affairs.
> >
> > True. One of the main problems here is that the copy in KDE bindings
> > needs to respect KDE's policies concerning binary compatibility between
> > releases and minor releases, while at the same time SIP and PyKDE have
> > been on their own schedule when it comes to things like breaking
> > compatibility and bumping library revisions.
>
> This independence is actually quite useful in other respects, particularly
> for SIP.

Yes.

> > Which brings me to a topic that I've been wanting to talk about for a
> > while now: synchronising PyKDE with KDE itself and its schedule. What I
> > would like to see in the future is KDE shipping each time with a complete
> > and up to date version of PyKDE included.
>
> While it would be nice to have ready made bindings for each new KDE
> release, it's going to take some willingness on the part of the core KDE
> developers to plan for this in their release schedules. (Maybe they already
> do.)
>
> Reading through the SIP files for PyKDE, you find lots of information about
> the way the KDE APIs have evolved over time. If the bindings were too
> closely tied to some schedule where development was frozen too early before
> a release, there wouldn't be enough time to update the bindings to include
> changes like these, unless the tools to generate the bindings could manage
> it automatically. I think a staggered release schedule would work much
> better.

Yes, somewhat. Depends on the time distribution of changes. If they bunch up
against the code freeze, PyKDE is screwed, at least in terms of being fully
up to date. If they're spread out, you could probably catch most of them. KDE
has been pretty good about maintaining a compatible API (eg - few if any
methods/classes deleted, few argument changes to methods except as an
overload, etc). That makes a slightly out-of-date PyKDE still usable.

I would think any kdelibs dependent app has the same problem.

However KDE and also distributions haven't been perfect, and it doesn't take
much of a change to break PyKDE. Still, I think it's less of a problem now
than early on.