[PyKDE] PyQt 4 on openSUSE (update, questions)

Joachim Werner joe at novell.com
Thu Sep 14 16:39:06 BST 2006

Hi all,

I've received the first version of Doug Bell's TreeLine in the PyQt 4 version.
So the first application that we have on openSUSE is on it's way to PyQt 4.

I've also found a volunteer to create initial packages for openSUSE in the
build system.

Now, after following the previous thread, I have some questions on how we can
proceed:

The starting point is that we currently only have the kdebindings3 version of
sip, PyQt, and PyKDE in openSUSE.

We don't really want to change this for the openSUSE 10.2 release, but at the
same time I'd like to have PyQt 4, at least as an option.

We will not have more than one Python.

So, where exactly will we have to expect problems?

PyQt 3 and PyQt 4 can be installed into the same Python, right?

The sip from kdebindings3 will conflict with the sip PyQt 4 needs, right?

Can I get around that conflict by just installing it to a different place than
it is now?

Or can we just use sip 4.4.5 for building our PyQt3 and PyKDE3? The problem
with that would be that we'd have to touch the current kdebindings3-python. I
don't like that idea very much.

Cheers

Joachim