[PyKDE] A bug confirmed

David Boddie david at boddie.org.uk
Fri Sep 29 17:43:52 BST 2006

On Friday 29 September 2006 17:35, Dave S wrote:
> On Friday 29 September 2006 12:50, David Boddie wrote:

> > This is related to your other message. You need to run pyuic4 instead of
> > pyuic. If pyuic4 didn't get installed then that's a bug with the build
> > system. pyuic is for PyQt applications that use Qt 3.
> >

> I downloaded  PyQt-win-gpl-4.0.1.zip and PyQt-x11-gpl-4.0.1.tar.gz, unzipped
> them both and found only pyuic inside of them and neither had a pyuic4.

OK. I see where the misunderstanding is. When you unpack PyQt 4.0.1 to create
the PyQt-x11-gpl-4.0.1 directory, for example, there's a pyuic directory, but
there's no pyuic4 file inside it. It's only created when you run configure.py
script.

There's also a file called pyuic.py in pyuic/uic and this is what you're
describing:

> Looking at the pyuic code it starts with ...
>
> #!/usr/bin/env python
>
> import sys
> import optparse
> import logging
>
> from PyQt4 import QtCore, uic
>

> Version = "Python User Interface Compiler %s for Qt version %s" %
> (QtCore.PYQT_VERSION_STR, QtCore.QT_VERSION_STR)
>
> so it is using PyQt4 - so I it must be in effect 'pyuic4'. Unfortunately my
> problem remains

Yes, this script actually does the work. It's executed by the pyuic4 file.

Anyway, the problem you describe with your form is due to something else.
I'll send a separate message for that.

If you look for pyuic4 in the directories that usually contain executables,
I'm sure you'll find it. If not, there's a problem with the installation
process. On Linux, you should be able to type "which pyuic4" to find the
executable, and it should be located with other tools like pylupdate4 and
pyrcc4.

Hope this helps,

David