[PyQt] Re: trouble installing PyQt

Gerard Vermeulen gerard.vermeulen at grenoble.cnrs.fr
Fri Apr 13 09:37:27 BST 2007

On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 07:24:10 +0100
Mark Summerfield <mark at qtrac.eu> wrote:

> On Thu 12-Apr-07, Phil Thompson wrote:

> > > BTW, PyQt's binary install could verify this automatically and *at
> > > least* display a warning. Phil?
> >
> > I suppose so - but it's really up to the Qt installer to get this
> > right.
>
> I do think you're missing the point here.
>
> You install GPL Qt, but if you want to run PyQt4 programs they just
> don't work by double-clicking. So you can either run the Qt console
> shortcut which executes qtvars.bat and run them from the
> console---ugly, or you can manually add Qt to the path. Since _you_
> know where Qt is when PyQt is installed, you could either (1) add
> Qt's bin dir to the path (yes please), or (2) at least tell the poor
> user to do it themselves! TT are never going to do this because as
> far as they're concerned they've got qtvars.bat.
>
> In the Appendix to the book I will explain how to add Qt to the path,
> so at least readers will know:-)

As far as I remember, qtvars.bat overrides the PATH instead of
prepending its stuff to an already existent PATH (don't know if
that is possible on Windows, since I am a Linux and OS X user).

I ended up changing the PATH myself to point to the Python/sip *and*
the Qt binaries to build PyQwt from Windows console, because python
is not found in Qt's console.

Phil,  not including the sip program and sip files into the PyQt binary
installer forces users to rebuild sip and PyQt before they can build
an extension module piggy-backing on PyQt. Can you include those, or
are they taking too much space or bandwidth?

Regards -- Gerard