[PyQt] Re: trouble installing PyQt

Phil Thompson phil at riverbankcomputing.co.uk
Fri Apr 13 09:50:04 BST 2007

On Friday 13 April 2007 7:24 am, Mark Summerfield wrote:
> On Thu 12-Apr-07, Phil Thompson wrote:

> > > BTW, PyQt's binary install could verify this automatically and *at
> > > least* display a warning. Phil?
> >
> > I suppose so - but it's really up to the Qt installer to get this right.
>
> I do think you're missing the point here.
>
> You install GPL Qt, but if you want to run PyQt4 programs they just
> don't work by double-clicking. So you can either run the Qt console
> shortcut which executes qtvars.bat and run them from the console---ugly,
> or you can manually add Qt to the path. Since _you_ know where Qt is
> when PyQt is installed, you could either (1) add Qt's bin dir to the
> path (yes please), or (2) at least tell the poor user to do it
> themselves! TT are never going to do this because as far as they're
> concerned they've got qtvars.bat.
>
> In the Appendix to the book I will explain how to add Qt to the path, so
> at least readers will know:-)

Well, I'd argue that Qt doesn't do it properly because you can't start Qt
programs from the command line without taking the same steps.

However, the one thing you definitely want to work immediately after
installing is to be able to run the demo from the menu. I've updated the
installer - it now sets the PATH correctly.