[PyQt] KGlobalAccel, again

Jim Bublitz jbublitz at nwinternet.com
Sat Aug 4 07:23:37 BST 2007

On Friday 03 August 2007 11:50, Adeodato Simó wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I'm having the same problem as [1] when using KGlobalAccel. In a
> nutshell, the program crashes when pressing the configured global
> shortcut.
>
>   [1] http://www.riverbankcomputing.com/pipermail/pyqt/2006-May/013268.html
>
> I tried adding /Transfer/ to the KGlobalAccel constructor as suggested
> there, but the result is the same (patched the PyKDE version in Debian,
> 3.15.2+20060422; 3.16.0 gave me a compiler error when building).
>
> I would really really really like to see this fixed. If there's anything
> I can do to help with that, please let me know.
>
> Here's a sample program that shows the issue: run it and press Ctrl-Alt-U.

The /Transfer/ in KGlobalAccel should be /TransferThis/, but that makes no
difference in your example program, which as far as I can see is correct.

The backtrace shows calls to createPopupMenu just before the crash, and as far
as I can tell from looking at the C++ code, that shouldn't be called. From
Python's point of view, if you interrogate the KGlobalAccel object, or the
KAccelAction object insert() returns, everything is set up correctly.

It could be a bug in the C++ KDE code, although I'd be surprised (a C++ test
case would be helpful). It could also be some misunderstanding of how to use
KGlobalAccel, but that seems unlikely too. It's probably a PyKDE problem, but
it's one I'd find very difficult to track down and what time I have to spend
on PyKDE is going to the upcoming KDE4 version. With that only a few months
away, I'm reluctant to spend a lot of time on PyKDE3, and this looks like it
would take a lot of time - I've spent a few hours on and off on it today

If I get some free time, I'll try to get back to it, but that's not likely at
the moment - sorry. Anyone else is welcome to look into it.

Jim.