[PyQt] Set a SVG image as background and with transparency

David Boddie david at boddie.org.uk
Fri Aug 10 00:40:39 BST 2007

On Thursday 09 August 2007 04:41, Gustavo A. Dí­az wrote:

> Well guys... i am getting nuts trying to do this :S

Sorry to hear that. Trying to make windows partially transparent will do
that to you. :-/

> Here is an example i what i really want:
>
> Superkaramba Applet:
> http://opencoffee.lnxteam.org/downloads/pub/pics/SuperKaramba_AppletExample
>.png
>
> Now, superkaramba is developed with C++/Python/QT. As you could see,
> they do not use QT background for the app, but .png pixmaps as
> backgrounds and with transparency.

I don't know very much about Superkaramba but I believe it doesn't actually
paint onto normal windows. If you are using a platform that supports
window composition then it may be possible to do this with "normal" PyQt
applications, but otherwise you may well be disappointed.

> Anyone could help me to make this possible?
>
> I've read a lot of examples ... but still i cant make it :S
>
> Thanks guys and sorry to disturb you... but i am stuck on this...

There is some information about this in the qt-interest mailing list
archives:

http://lists.trolltech.com/qt4-preview-feedback/2005-04/thread00019-0.html

Basically, unless I'm missing some information, it's not as simple as one
might expect. You might get more suggestions for ways to do what you want
by looking at the qt-interest or kde-devel mailing list archives, or even
asking on there:

  http://lists.trolltech.com/qt-interest/
  http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-devel&r=1&w=2

David