[PyQt] Packaging PyQt4 Applications

Angel Leon gubatron at gmail.com
Fri Dec 7 17:50:10 GMT 2007

Ok, after some feedback from the community and reading I found out more
about how the distutils and setuptools libraries.

Anyone has any preferences over setuptools? (I found the documentation to be
very obfuscated in comparison to that of distutils on the official python
site)

I also found this distutils script (by Thomas Malik or Phil) to package
PyKDE, it's a bit old but seems like a good example of what I need to do
with my dependencies.
http://lists.kde.org/?l=pykde&m=102191945721131&w=2

I also saw that in the case of linux, if you use distutils, you can tell
your build script to create binaries for different platforms,
so all I need now is to find or write a command that packages my application
onto a .deb

python setup.py *bdist_dpkg*

I found this implementation of bdist_dpkg command, but it seems to be very
old (Python 1.5.2)
http://www.koders.com/python/fidE421A383523C3627503BF8AB7E8027AFBF3D7488.aspx

There's a light at the end of the tunnel, worse comes the worse I'll write
something custom to my project to create the deb file right inside of my
setup.py script.

Thanks.