[PyKDE] Re: Threading problem with PyQt4 and Macosx

Matt Newell newellm at blur.com
Sat Feb 24 00:42:15 GMT 2007

On Friday 23 February 2007 14:34, Matt Newell wrote:
> On Friday 23 February 2007 12:52, Matt Newell wrote:
> > On Friday 23 February 2007 12:38, Michael Guntsche wrote:
> > > On Feb 23, 2007, at 20:43, Matt Newell wrote:

> > > Hello Matt,
> > >
> > > Can you try and change the connect to a QueuedConnection? It looks
> > > like it is using a "DirectConnection" now.
> > > I was sure I tried that before, but back then I was using events and
> > > not signals.
> >
> > It's already (correctly) using a queued connection to send the signal.
> > I've already tracked it down further and eliminated one of the deadlock
> > code paths by putting a /ReleaseGIL/ annotation on QLabel::setText.
> > There is another deadlock though happening in the connect call which i'm
> > tracking down now.
> >
> > > I tried it on my computer, but although the "connect" returns True I
> > > do not get the emitted signal in my main thread.
> > > I do not understand why.
> >
> > Hmm, i'm not sure why that would happen.
>
> So here's the deal.  In order to avoid deadlocks we must avoid running any
> Qt code that will require a lock while the GIL is locked.  This is because
> we can't avoid the opposite, which is acquiring the GIL while Qt is holding
> a lock( For example Qt holds a lock while copying signal data for queued
> connections, and we have to run python code for that. )  To avoid a
> deadlock we must avoid one or the other.
>
> This means that any Qt calls that do a connect, or create/destroy any
> qobjects must first release the GIL.  There may be other code paths in Qt
> that require the same care.
>
> Try testing with this patch, it eliminates all deadlocks for me.

I still get deadlocks when destroying the threads unless I add /ReleaseGIL/ to
the QThread dtor.

I think that right now there are many potential deadlocks in PyQt.  All
QObject and derived classes need their ctors and dtors marked /ReleaseGIL/.
All connect/disconnect functions, any functions that indirectly delete or
create qobjects, etc.  Essentially the entire api needs to be reviewed.

Matt