[PyKDE] Licensing questions

Knut Morten Johansson knutmj at online.no
Sat Jan 6 10:45:13 GMT 2007

On Saturday 06 January 2007 05:47, Kenneth McDonald wrote:
> If one wants to build an application that uses pykde, there seem to be
> three different licenses that need to be considered;
>
> 1) The pykde license.
> 2) The kde license.
> 3) The Qt license.

It's more like 4 or 2 depending on how you look at it.
1) The Qt license.
2) The PyQt license.
3) The KDE license.
4) The PyKDE License.

But it's simple anyway, as long as you don't try to make it difficult. (That
is usually done by trying to think of elaborate ways to get around the GPL).

But the PyQt license have to mach the Qt license, GPL-GPL or
commercial-commercia(aka closed sopurce)l(I guess you can can use GLP PyQt
with commercial Qt, but then your app has to be GPL anyway, so you are
essensially at the GPL-GPL scenario). *1

And the KDE libraries are even simpler they are LGPL and BSD. And I guess the
PyKDE libraries match and are LGPL(please veryfy this as I'm not 100% on this
one). Basicly you can use those libs regardless of your apps license.

But when you use any KDE library you also use Qt, period.

So whatever you are doing with KDE or PyKDE, it's the Qt license that decides.
If you want do do a closed source application you need the corresponding Qt
and PyQt license.

Best regards
Knut

1) I'm not sure if PyQt does the QPL or not,  but that give rights to use
other non GPL open source licenses.