[PyKDE] Sigh, it was a nice affair while it lasted...

Giovanni Bajo rasky at develer.com
Mon Jan 8 16:13:31 GMT 2007

David Boddie wrote:

>> After my brief flirtation with PyKDE, I'm afraid I have to say goodbye.
>> It looks like a great package, but I'm afraid the viral GPL has driven
>> me away. I say this not to start a flame war, but simply to let people
>> know that the GPL does drive some people away (perhaps as it attracts
>> others). I would love to try writing a commercial app in PyKDE
>> (contributing fixes to the codebase, as well as licensing fees), but
>> this is obviously not possible.
>
> It seems a shame that the closed source approach is often seen as the
> only viable approach to commercial deployment of applications. Another
> approach that can also be successful is the open source plus service and
> support model, but this may not be compatible with existing business
> models involving certain kinds of software. :-(

This fails to acknowledge that the person in charge of choosing a
technical solution (such as a GUI toolkit) and that in charge of
changing the commercial strategy of the company are not the same in any
non-trivial case.

Qt and PyQt work because they *do* offer a dual-licensing model which
fits any kind of business strategy.
--
Giovanni Bajo