[PyQt] Is there an easy way to install pyqt?

Tina I tinaweb at bestemselv.com
Wed Jun 20 09:49:06 BST 2007

hok kakada wrote:
> Dear List,
>
> I have written my program using python language and qt as its GUI.
> In order to run it, it needs so many requirements as list below:
>
> sip-4.4.5 or higher a Python C/C++ Bindings Generator
> http://www.riverbankcomputing.co.uk/sip/
>
> PyQt-x11-gpl-4.0 or higher, the Python bindings for the Qt GUI toolkit
> http://www.riverbankcomputing.co.uk/pyqt
>
> Qt4.2 or higher, a GUI toolkit
> http://www.trolltech.com/developer/downloads/qt
>
> Python 2.3 or higher (shipped with most Linux distributions)
> http://www.python.org/
>
> Moreover, installing pyqt and qt take lots of time, about half a day or a day,
> if problem exist.
>
> In addition, I was wondering why there is no rpm files for downloading? I
> browsed through their websites, but I couldn't find the rpm file that is, I
> think, easier for normal user.
>
> For example, if my friend wants to try my program, she has to install all
> requirements first which is not a happy way for testing.
>
> Further more, the current version of pyqt is  PyQt-x11-gpl-4.2.tar.gz, and I
> want to use the backward version PyQt-x11-gpl-4.0.tar.gz, unfortunately I
> couldn't find on the pyqt website.
>
> Am I missing something? could anybody please give me some clues?
>
> Kind Regards,
> da

I have had success with PyInstaller:
http://pyinstaller.python-hosting.com/ It produces a self contained
executable, either a single file or a directory, and can handle both
Linux and Windows. Just remember that you need to add a hook to SIP to
make it work with PyQt (Create a file under /hooks in your PyInstaller
directory named "hook-PyQt4.py" that contain the line "hiddenimports =
['sip']")

Tina