[PyQt] PyQt v4.3a1 Binary Installer for Windows

Giovanni Bajo rasky at develer.com
Sun Jun 24 21:28:43 BST 2007

On 24/06/2007 17.12, Phil Thompson wrote:

> I've created a binary Windows installer for what will be PyQt v4.3 at
> http://www.riverbankcomputing.com/Downloads/PyQt4/GPL/PyQt-gpl-4.3a1-Py2.5.exe
>
> The purpose of the package is to satisfy the needs of 95% of users - not 100%.
>
> At the moment this includes the following...
>
>   - the standard PyQt4 modules (except QtDesigner)
>   - QScintilla2
>   - pyuic4, pyrcc4, pylupdate4
>   - designer, assistant, linguist
>   - Qt and PyQt docs
>   - PyQt examples
>   - support for SQLite (but no other database drivers)
>   - support for PNG, SVG, GIF, JPEG (but no other image formats)

It also includes sip (though isn't listed here).

> I plan to add eric4 and (probably) the SSL classes before the final release. I
> may remove the Qt documentation and just provide a link to Trolltech's
> website.
>
> The package isn't extensible. If you want to add additional Qt based modules
> (or additional database drivers or image formats) then you should build
> things yourself.
>
> I'd like feedback on anything else you think is missing and should be in the
> final release (like I've just realised I forgot lrelease).

My feedback is:

  * no eric4. Given this package, installing eric4 should be very easy for
most users. Plus, detlev could use PyInstaller or similar tools to provide
self-contained Windows executables.

  * yes SSL. It is an integral part of Qt 4.3; the fact that can be optioned
out is just because of politics, AFAICT.

  * provide somewhere the configure.cache used to compile Qt, as a reference
of what is included and what is not. I suggest c:\program files\pyqt4, and
referenced in the documentation (you might want a README.TXT into c:\program
files\pyqt4 that lists all the packages above with their exact version number,
include Qt's version number).

  * Are you using LZMA compression while building the NSIS installer, aren't you?

  * I'm not sure installing assistant/designer/linguist in c:\python25 is the
right way to go. Why don't you put them into c:\program files\pyqt? I am not
so sure about the location of pylupdate/pyrcc/pylrealease.

Thanks for working on this!
--
Giovanni Bajo