[PyQt] PyQt v4.3a1 Binary Installer for Windows

Giovanni Bajo rasky at develer.com
Mon Jun 25 01:18:02 BST 2007

On 25/06/2007 0.41, Phil Thompson wrote:

>>   * no eric4. Given this package, installing eric4 should be very easy for
>> most users. Plus, detlev could use PyInstaller or similar tools to provide
>> self-contained Windows executables.
>
> eric4 is relatively small, and dials home to see if there is an up to date
> version so it's not a burden. It's also a good advert for what you can do
> with PyQt.

Still, it's a totally separate application, it's not related to PyQt in any
way but being a big example of a PyQt application.

For instance, the fact that eric4 installs into c:\python25 and site-packages
makes me itchy. That's not how Windows application deployment works. And doing
that within the PyQt4 installer would just reflect this mistake.

> If you want to advertise PyInstaller then provide an eric4 plugin that
> converts a project to an installer at the click of a button ;)

That'd be good, yes :) It would even work in simple cases, but harder ones
would still require at least the editing of a configuration file.

I often use a in-house PyDeploy package I shall release one day. It takes care
of everything at the price of writing a simple description file which tells it
how your project is arranged.

>>   * I'm not sure installing assistant/designer/linguist in c:\python25 is
>> the right way to go. Why don't you put them into c:\program files\pyqt? I
>> am not so sure about the location of pylupdate/pyrcc/pylrealease.
>
> I didn't want to mess with PATH.

There's no reason assistant/designer/linguist must reside in the PATH. As long
as you add a Start menu shortcut to them, I think people won't miss them from
PATH (or if they really want, they can go adding the directory themselves). I
don't think PATH is really needed for most non-console applications. And
that's why I'd rather pylupdate/pyrcc/pylrelease stay in the PATH by default.

[also, I still wonder why python-dev doesn't fix the c:\python25 /
c:\python25\scripts PATH mess...]
--
Giovanni Bajo