[PyQt] What about a community site ?

David Boddie david at boddie.org.uk
Mon May 14 01:37:55 BST 2007

On Thu May 10 15:29:40 BST 2007, Piotr Maliński wrote:

> There is the wiki http://www.diotavelli.net/PyQtWiki and thats about it
> for a "community" site (not counting official site and some tutorials on
> the net). PyGTK has the main site done better: http://www.pygtk.org/ - one
> of nice things are listings of user tutorials posted on their sites:
> http://www.pygtk.org/articles.html
>
> Why not make a good PyQT/PyKDE community site, something more than a bit
> dead wiki :) ?

Why not help make the Wiki a little less "dead"? We can put tutorials on
there, too!

> Things that should go on to the site:
>
> - core documentation

Or just _links_ to core documentation, perhaps?

This sounds a bit like QtCentre (www.qtcentre.org) in some ways.

> - wiki-like pages

I would prefer to only use one Wiki for PyQt information. The current one
has its problems, though many of them are due to lack of time and
organization, but I don't want to have to start migrating content to another
one.

> - maybe a forum or a web based interface to the mailing lists
> maybe something more ^_^

Forums are OK as long as they don't make me feel that I have to check yet
another place for PyQt/PyKDE discussions. Ideally, there would be a forum
interface to the current mailing list which simply provides a convenient way
for legitimate users to access it via a Web interface. I did wonder whether
GNU Mailman has support for this, but it seems not, though I would love to be
corrected. :-)

> I know Django quite well and I can help :)

That's a kind offer! However, I think we need to start by looking at what's
possible with the current MoinMoin installation, especially with regard to
theming and dynamic content. If you're familiar with MoinMoin and want to
improve the Wiki, I'm sure you can get an account with suitable privileges to
get things done.

If you don't think we can realise your goals with MoinMoin, maybe we need to
think about using a full Content Management System for a community site.
It would be good to hear other suggestions from users about what they want
from a community site before building another one from scratch, especially
since there might be other related sites (QtCentre, techbase.kde.org) who
could host PyQt/PyKDE-related content and who would benefit from your help
as well.

What do you think?

David