[PyQt] Qt 4.4

Phil Thompson phil at riverbankcomputing.co.uk
Thu Oct 18 09:45:35 BST 2007

On Thursday 18 October 2007, Giovanni Bajo wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-10-17 at 16:15 -0700, Matt Chambers wrote:
> > > No, and Phil usually doesn't support Qt snapshots, only releases.
> > >
> > > Andreas
> >
> > Yeah, lets start early!  I want to get in some early testing with 4.4,
> > the other 4.x versions are extremely slow to draw to the screen
> > compared to 3.x.  If Trolltech hasn't fixed it in 4.4 (which they
> > claim to have done), I know that I will personally probably switch to
> > QtJambi.

What difference will that make if the underlying code is the same?

> > It doesn't work, this is the compile error I'm seeing, latest sip an
> > pyqt snapshots.
> >
> > /usr/local/qt/4.4.0-gpl-gcc421/include -I/usr/X11R6/include -o
> > sipQtGuiQGraphicsSceneDragDropEvent.o
> > sipQtGuiQGraphicsSceneDragDropEvent.cpp
> > sipQtGuiQGraphicsSceneDragDropEvent.cpp: In constructor
> > ‘sipQGraphicsSceneDragDropEvent::sipQGraphicsSceneDragDropEvent(const
> > QGraphicsSceneDragDropEvent&)’:
> >
> > /usr/local/qt/4.4.0-gpl-gcc421/include/QtGui/qgraphicssceneevent.h:274:
> > error: ‘QGraphicsSceneDragDropEvent::QGraphicsSceneDragDropEvent(const
> > QGraphicsSceneDragDropEvent&)’ is private
> > sipQtGuiQGraphicsSceneDragDropEvent.cpp:81: error: within this context
> > make[1]: *** [sipQtGuiQGraphicsSceneDragDropEvent.o] Error 1
> > make[1]: Leaving directory
> > `/var/tmp/yum-rpm-build-scratch/chambers/BUILD_i386/PyQt-x11-gpl-4.3-snap
> >shot-20071016/QtGui' make: *** [all] Error 2
> > error: Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.94015 (%build)
>
> Add the mentioned private copy constructor to the sip file for that
> class.
>
> But really, it's a lost battle. It doesn't even help Phil, because he's
> generating .sip files using a "MetaSIP" tool which he wrote and never
> released. So even if you provide a fully-functional patch file to him,
> he would probably need to redo the job or something.

But it's always good for me to check that it's not a bug in the current PyQt
release. Normally though, if a current version of PyQt fails to build against
a Qt snapshot then it's almost certainly a backwards compatibility bug in the
snapshot - so report it as such to Trolltech.

What I actually do is to start with the first release candidate.