[PyQt] Re: PyQt book "Rapid GUI Programming with Python and Qt" now available

David J Brooks freysman at comcast.net
Thu Oct 25 20:15:32 BST 2007

On Thursday 25 October 2007 11:42:58 am Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> On 25.10.07 17:19:51, Thorsten Kampe wrote:
> > * Andreas Pakulat (Thu, 25 Oct 2007 15:36:43 +0200)

> > > Yeah, US citizens would file a lawsuit if they'd see this happening to
> > > them. In good old Europe people just take it as is.
> >
> > I don't think there is a law in America against overpriced books.
>
> No, but that doesn't stop American citizen to file a lawsuit. There's no
> law against putting a cat into a microwave oven and turn it on, yet
> somebody did it and filed a lawsuit because both things where broken
> afterwards and (AFAIK) that person won (or all this is just a myth, but
> there are plenty of these and there must be some truth in them).

This is an old urban legend.
http://www.snopes.com/horrors/techno/microwavedpet.asp
There are laws in every state of the US against cruelty to animals, and
microwaving a cat would almost certainly qualify.

I expect the American response to overpriced books is much the same as the
European one: make a .torrent and put it on the .net

David
--
Biggest security gap -- an open mouth.