[PyQt] Catching Qt exceptions in PyQt

Claudio A. Quezada R. claudio.quezada.r at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 17:44:24 BST 2007

Hello, i´ve got the very same trouble several of times, and i tried to
reimplement notify, but the same exception was thrown over and over
again.

I changed the code (finding where was the error) and exception didn´t
appear again. It´s seems easier debug and change the code than
reimplement QApplication notify, at least for me. Probably silly
errors (like setItem to a QTableWidget that isn´t enabled, or setText
on a QTableWidgetItem that don´t exists) are common.

Anyway, if anyone get QApplication notify works, post it at the list.

Cheers,

Claudio

2007/9/7, Allen Bierbaum <abierbaum at gmail.com>:
> I don't know what you are doing wrong or what causes this, but I do
> know that we see it all the time when trying to debug and it makes the
> entire process very painful.  If you find any type of solution that
> works so you can see the exception that is being thrown, please let me
> know so we can use it.
>
> -Allen
>
> On 9/7/07, Dirk Wagener <dwagen at stonethree.com> wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I have a piece of code that produces this error:
> >
> > "Qt has caught an exception thrown from an event handler. Throwing
> > exceptions from an event handler is not supported in Qt.
> > You must reimplement QApplication::notify() and catch all exceptions
> > there. "
> >
> > I implemented my own app class as follows:
> >
> > class Application (QtGui.QApplication):
> >     def __init__(self, argv):
> >         QtGui.QApplication.__init__(self, argv)
> >
> >     def notify(self, obj, evt):
> >         try:
> >             # Call base class notify.
> >             return QtGui.QApplication.notify(self, obj, evt)
> >         except Exception:
> >             print "Unexpected error:",
> > string.join(traceback.format_exception(*sys.exc_info()))
> >             return False
> >
> > My code still produces exactly the same error, so it seems that the
> > exception is still not caught!
> > What am I doing wrong here?
> >
> > Kind regards
> > Dirk Wagener