[PyQt] Updated PyQt Release Plans

Phil Thompson phil at riverbankcomputing.com
Wed Apr 30 18:03:25 BST 2008

On Wednesday 30 April 2008, Aaron Digulla wrote:
> Quoting Phil Thompson <phil at riverbankcomputing.com>:
> > As Qt v4.4 has been released a little earlier than I was expecting I'm
> > dropping plans for a PyQt v4.3.4 release.
> >
> > The current snapshot has been updated for the final Qt v4.4. I need to
> > finish the new support for QMetaObject.invokeMethod() and expect to
> > release PyQt v4.4 in a week or two.
> >
> > Now would be a good time to check for any regressions...
> >
> > ...and now would be a good time to let me know of anything else that
> >  should go
> > into the release.
>
> I'd like to request a debug mode which works along these lines:
>
> - For everything derived from QObject, connect to the dispose signal.
> At this time, save a stack trace and a pointer to the Python handle
> associated with the QObject
> - When the signal is emitted, make sure that the usage count of the
> corresponding Python object is 0, too. If it isn't, print the saved
> stack trace and a new one saying that the usage count between Python
> and C++ is out of sync.
>
> For the installation, the debug versions of the libraries should go
> into special directories so I can put them in the PATH (Windows) or
> the LD_LIBRARY_PATH (Linux) to select them when my code behaves odd.

I'm not sure what that gives you. I would imagine that a QObject disappearing
while there is still a Python wrapper for it is quite common and legitimate.
For example, if you keep a reference to a child object and the parent gets
destroyed. The problem is only when you try and use that reference - but if
you do then you will get an exception anyway.