[PyQt] SIP - %Exception for StopIteration

Jonny Morrill jrmorrill at gmail.com
Wed Aug 6 00:43:36 BST 2008

Hello,

I have just started using sip to create python extensions for a few of my
C++ libraries. I have had success with most everything I wanted to do. There
is one thing I could use some help with, though. I wanted to use one of my
C++ classes as if it were an iterable python object. To get this to work, I
implemented the required functions in my C++ code:

(using Object as an example class name)

Item* Object::next();
Item* Object::operator[](int index);
Object* Object::__iter__();

When I create a python object I now can do something like:

object = Object()
.
.
.
for *item* in *object*:
  // item is an Item object

This causes an infinite loop and I am pretty sure that it is because the Item*
Object::next(); function is missing the raise StopIteration exception that
is present in all python iterable objects. I think that using the %Exception
directive in my specification file should lead me to a solution, but the
syntax is somewhat confusing to me. I actually do not have mush experience
with exceptions in C++ so a basic explanation of what needs to be coded in
both the C++ and .sip file would be very much appreciated!!

Also, if there is a better way to do this I would be happy to hear it!

Thanks!

- Jonny