[PyQt] Compiling PyQt on Mac OS X

Kevin Walzer kw at codebykevin.com
Thu Aug 21 14:04:50 BST 2008

Daniel Miller wrote:

> Do you know, will there ever be another release of py2app? I also follow
> the Pythonmac list and there are tons of questions on there that are
> answered by "try the dev version of py2app".

Not sure. It's still being maintained, but only in a minimal way--enough
to keep bugs fixed in trunk, not enough to get a new release out.

> I'll try that out if I get some time, although I'm starting to think I
> might wait until Qt 4.5 is out since it doesn't look like they've fixed
> the things I want to have fixed. Namely, QTreeView header does not look
> right on Mac OS. The header is too high and the sort column header does
> not turn blue like it does with native Mac apps (not to mention the old
> Qt 3). There's one bug report that I know of that might start to fix
> some of the problems:
> http://trolltech.com/developer/task-tracker/index_html?id=186052&method=entry
> In general, Qt 4 on Mac does not look as polished and professional as Qt
> 3.3 does, which is very surprising to me since it was supposed to be so
> much better.

Are you sure about this?

If you look at the custom sort/filter demo on Qt 4.4.1, the column
header turns blue and shows the sort arrow when sorting is chosen.

I think Qt 4.4 is the best Mac version ever. It gets nearly all the
small details right. You can do unified toolbars, it displays Mac icons
natively and correctly in directory views, and so on.

Qt 3.x was very clunky visually.

>>> I didn't have a problem building Qt or SIP, the only problem I had
>>> was with PyQt. The errors I had were rather strange--looked like
>>> something was wrong with SIP. Unfortunately I was not able to find
>>> any older versions of SIP to try them out (i.e. versions 4.5 or 4.6).
>>> Have you successfully (on Mac OS) built PyQt 4.4.3 ?
>> Yes, that's what I'm using now.
>
> One further qualification, what version of SIP are you using? I'm sorry
> for being so naggy here, but I'd like to figure out why I'm getting
> these errors. Do you know, did something change in PyQt recently that
> makes it only work with a framework build of Qt? I was able to
> successfully compile and use the following library versions:
>
> Qt 4.3.2
> SIP 4.7.1
> PyQt 4.3.1
>
> And I compiled those using the exact same options and procedure I was
> using when I ran into problems with PyQt 4.4.3

I'm using Qt 4.41, sip  4.7.7, and PyQt 4.4.3.

--Kevin

--
Kevin Walzer
Code by Kevin