[PyQt] Compiling PyQt4 in windows for smaller Qt footprint

Nahuel Defossé nahueldefosse at yahoo.com.ar
Sun Dec 7 01:51:53 GMT 2008

Hi
my main development platform is linux, but I have to deliver win32 binaries
from time to time. I build them with py2exe and sometimes with PyInstaller,
but no matter which of them I use, it turns out that the minimum QtGui +
QtCore exe application footprint is 23MB. At least using the PyQt4 msi
installer available at riverbankcomputing.co.uk

There are compressors for exe's and dll's, but I wanted to attack the root of
the problem, PyQt4 size itself so I've asked in my local python maling
list[1] (Spanish) and they told me that I could recompile PyQt4 disabling
things I don't use. Is that possible? Any advise/article/anything regarding
to this subject?

Thanks!
Nahuel

[1] http://proposicion.org.ar/lurker/message/20081107.121404.6bc30b88.es.html