[PyQt] PyQt4 horribly slow on non local X server

David Boddie david at boddie.org.uk
Wed Dec 10 01:04:46 GMT 2008

On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 23:26:32 +0000 (GMT), Russell Brown wrote:

> I've just started playing with PyQt4 and fired up the Jonathan Riddell
> webkit.py demo (included below).

I hope you're still reading this list. :-/

> If I run it on my laptop (with a local X display) then the performance
> is adequate; if not quite as snappy as one might like.
>
> Running it on a remote display however it's a different kettle of fish :-(
>
> If I size the window so it's a third of the total required and click on
> the bottom of the scroll bar area, it takes around 5 seconds for the
> window to scroll and display.  This is constant and repeatable.
>
> Is this a known problem? Comments?

It may be a general problem with WebKit or the way the rendering is done
by Qt. To test this, it might be useful to run Qt's Browser demonstration
on a remote display and see if that's also slow.

Maybe you've already tried that. If so, can you tell us what the performance
was like?

David