[PyQt] XORing options and result type

Christoph Burgmer chrislb at gmx.de
Thu Jul 24 09:26:12 BST 2008

I want to raise an issue that has been raised before and which I'd like to see
in a FAQ or some other place.

If you combine options with XOR or other logical operators the type
information is lost and python will raise the following when given in a
method call:

    self.setupGUI(KXmlGuiWindow.Default ^ KXmlGuiWindow.StatusBar, xmlFile)
TypeError: argument 1 of KXmlGuiWindow.setupGUI() has an invalid type

I had to find old source code to get to the solution:

self.setupGUI(KXmlGuiWindow.StandardWindowOption(
    KXmlGuiWindow.Default ^ KXmlGuiWindow.StatusBar), xmlFile)

I remember either Phil or Jim answering on this issue once but a quick scan
through May - June didn't give me any result, neither did Google. Is this
worth mentioning somewhere?

Was there an issue that wouldn't allow those methods to just accept an int
value?

Chris