[PyQt] Updating the windows installer for Qt 4.4

Giovanni Bajo rasky at develer.com
Tue May 13 13:03:56 BST 2008

On 5/13/2008 1:19 PM, Phil Thompson wrote:
> On Tuesday 13 May 2008 11:59:48 Giovanni Bajo wrote:

>>> Correct. Of course there is nothing to stop you creating your own single
>>> installer containing exactly what you need.

>>> It's too much trouble for me, particularly as building Qt is getting more
>>> complicated.
>> I understand but I think it's a really wrong commercial move.
>>
>> The only reason for that package to exist was that it allowed people to
>> install a complete PyQt version to experiment with a single click.
>> Instead, you're now forcing people to go through two different
>> installers, one of which even poses questions which are absolutely
>> useless and uncomprehensable for Python programmers which are not C++
>> programmers.
>>
>> I personally saw a *large* increase of interest in Python Windows
>> programmers since the consolidated installer was released. It would be a
>> shame to see a regression there.
>>
>> I really hope you reconsider your choice.
>
> What I might consider doing is producing an alternative installer for Qt, ie.
> a Qt-Lite that only includes the bits that PyQt requires.

Not sure it solves the problems I'm thinking of. The external dependency
is already very confusing. Let me give you a sample of the questions we
used to be asked before the consolidated installer, and that will be
asked again if you go down this way:

"Which version of Qt among the 8 I have installed is used by PyQt?"
"If I install this new Qt version, does it screw my PyQt installation?"
"How can I use a different PyQt/Qt version for different versions of the
Python interpreter?"
"When I write 'import PyQt4', I get this weird 'cannot find QtCore4.dll'
error. Why?"
"Should I install Qt before or after PyQt? Does it change anything?"
"I get this weird 'symbol __XvWIqIOQTCORE__WIEWI [insert 250-characters
mangled C++ name here] cannot be found'; why?" (pyqt/qt version mismatch)
--
Giovanni Bajo
Develer S.r.l.