[PyQt] Help with first desktop app: paths, and py2exe

Arthur Pemberton pemboa at gmail.com
Mon Nov 10 20:26:20 GMT 2008

First problem, paths, specifically sys.path

How do you all deal with developing on different machine with relation
to paths. I can fairly easily calculate and the appropriate path and
add it to sys.path for my app, but I often want to run and test
separate modules which need other modules, and those tend to need a
separate path based on the way that I calculate them.

So what is the proper way to set paths flexibly enough that I can `svn
co` on a random machine with the appropriate modules and get running?
One solution of course is placing the module in a
statically/pemantently set python path., but that would mean one extra
step that any one I ask to test my code would need to take. Paths are
also important for locating resources like .ui files and data in .xml
files.

If it helps, my (still ugly) code can be seen here:
https://pembo13.net/projects/lico/browser/trunk/lico

Second question, how do you guys handle compilation with py2exe,
specifically with regards to .ui files, but also with data files?
Ideally, I would like to have my .ui files put into the library.zip,
but I don't know how of if it is even possible as only modules seem to
get there.

Furthermore, does anyone have additional tips for deploying PyQt apps
in Windows?

Thank you,
Arthur Pemberton

--