[PyQt] PyQt4 horribly slow on non local X server

Russell Brown russell at lls.lls.com
Wed Nov 26 23:26:32 GMT 2008

I've just started playing with PyQt4 and fired up the Jonathan Riddell
webkit.py demo (included below).

If I run it on my laptop (with a local X display) then the performance
is adequate; if not quite as snappy as one might like.

Running it on a remote display however it's a different kettle of fish :-(

If I size the window so it's a third of the total required and click on
the bottom of the scroll bar area, it takes around 5 seconds for the
window to scroll and display.  This is constant and repeatable.

Is this a known problem? Comments?

FWIW, the server running python is a lightly loaded quad core Opteron
connected to the thin client via a lightly loaded 100Mb LAN.

The remote display is a thin-client (LTSP) and one I use day in and day
out; the performance with other apps is perfectly fine.

I've also tried running it remotely to a fat-client's X server (running
Kubuntu 8.04) with the same results.

Here's the code in question:

#!/usr/bin/env python

import sys