[PyQt] strange dialog slowness

Mark Summerfield mark at qtrac.eu
Tue Oct 21 16:30:34 BST 2008

Hi,

I've encountered an odd behaviour in PyQt4 which seems to be peculiar to
my Fedora 8 system. I have PyQt 4.4.2, Qt 4.4.0, and Python 2.5.1
installed from packages and they work fine.

I also have PyQt 4.4.3, Qt 4.4.3 and Python 2.5.2 installed locally on
both my Fedora 8 system and on my Kubuntu system. On the Kubuntu system
everything is fine, but on Fedora 8, windows take a long time to appear
for the first time---for example, the file open dialog takes around 14
seconds even when the current directory doesn't have many items.

I tried building everything from scratch, I tried both later and earlier
versions, and I still have the same problem. The slowness does not
affect the locally installed Qt for C++/Qt programs, only for PyQt.

Phil hasn't encountered this problem and suggested using debug versions
of the Qt libraries to try to trace it; but first I wondered if anyone
else had hit the problem and maybe had a fix they could suggest?

Thanks!

--
Mark Summerfield, Qtrac Ltd, www.qtrac.eu
    C++, Python, Qt, PyQt - training and consultancy