[PyQt] PyQt and Qt build and install overview

Scott Frankel frankel at circlesfx.com
Sat Sep 27 00:48:01 BST 2008

I've just upgraded PyQt & Qt versions and took the opportunity to
document the process.  While there's no substitute for the detailed
build and installation instructions that come with each package in
their README files, I find that a simple list is a handy companion.
To that end, and to provide a high-level overview for the next time I
upgrade, I wrote the following.  I share it with the list in the hopes
that someone else might find it useful also.

Scott

The following overview was written for:
PyQt 4.4.2 to 4.4.3 (commercial)
Qt 4.4.2-snapshot-20080711 to 4.4.2
Mac OSX 10.5.5
MacBook Pro (Intel)

#-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
# PyQt & Qt Build and Install Overview
#-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- download & install latest Qt prebuilt binaries
   qt-mac-commercial-*.dmg

- download latest Qt src (for PyQt to compile against)
   qt-mac-commercial-src*.tar.gz

- build & install Qt src
   ./configure  (approx. 10 min.'s)
   make  (approx. 1.5 hrs)

- download PyQt components:
   http://www.riverbankcomputing.com/

- download & install latest sip
   python configure.py
   make
   sudo make install

- copy PyQt commercial license to PyQt's sip dir
   eg:  /opt/local/src/PyQt-mac-commercial-4.4.3/sip/pyqt-commercial.sip

- download latest PyQt

- ensure that Qt's bin dir is updated in PATH (hence the qt src install)
   eg:  /opt/local/src/qt-mac-commercial-src-4.4.2/bin

- build & install PyQt
   python configure.py
   make  (approx. 10 min.'s)
   sudo make install