[PyQt] Parenting a PyQt window to another application

Scott Ballard scott at scottballard.net
Thu Apr 23 09:32:16 BST 2009

Hi,

I'm trying to find a way to parent a PyQt (QMainWindow) to another
application. In my case, I have PyQt running in Autodesk Maya and am
trying to get the PyQt window to parent to Maya's main window (so that
it raises/restores with Maya's window)

I was able to get the PyQt window to parent to Maya's main window using
the Python win32gui module (GetActiveWindow(), GetParent() and
SetParent()). I am able to move the border of the window around the Maya
interface but the window doesn't redraw correctly and none of the
menus/buttons work.

Any suggestions are appreciated!
-Scott

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4029 (20090422) __________