[PyQt] More pythonic API

Florian Friesdorf flo at chaoflow.net
Sat Aug 1 10:49:08 BST 2009

On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 03:53:01PM +0200, Arve Knudsen wrote:
> My impression is that Phil intends for PyQt to generally resemble Qt as
> closely as practically feasible. This approach has advantages. It implies
> less complexity wrapping-wise, since the mapping is mostly direct, and once
> you know Qt itself you can easily work with PyQt (principle of least
> surprise). I find that PyQt being non-Pythonic mostly represents a
> threshold, which has little practical bearing once you have some experience
> with (Py)Qt. Also, it's a good thing when switching back and forth between
> C++ and Python (which some of us do).

I fully understand that and I am just starting with PyQt. Currently, I
think it would be great to have a layer on top of PyQt, that makes it
more pythonic. Maybe the declarative layer, Phil mentioned, will help
here. I'll be silent about that until I finished Mark's book and
actually wrote some real code.

-florian