[PyQt] Phonon VideoWidget error: "the video widget could not be initialized correctly"

Daniel Naab danielnaab at gmail.com
Sat Aug 15 01:43:33 BST 2009

I've encountered a frustrating issue (on Windows only): when trying to
create a VideoWidget instance, I'm getting the error message "the
video widget could not be initialized correctly".  Oddly, this just
surfaced in the code after several weeks of perfect operation, on two
separate Windows boxes (one Vista, the other an XP image running via
Parallels).  I'm not aware of anything having changed in the
environment that may have caused it.

I'm using Python 2.6 and the PyQt 4.5.4 Windows installer.  I notice
this issue was raised last November, but no solutions were offered:

http://www.riverbankcomputing.com/pipermail/pyqt/2008-November/021029.html

My Googling hasn't turned up any explanations of what may cause this.
Can anyone clue me in?

Thank you.