[PyQt] Is QScintilla slower/more buggy than its wxPython counterpart?

Pierre Raybaut contact at pythonxy.com
Mon Aug 17 12:20:12 BST 2009

2009/8/17 Phil Thompson <phil at riverbankcomputing.com>:
> On Sun, 16 Aug 2009 08:56:56 +0200, Pierre Raybaut <contact at pythonxy.com>
> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Following a bug report on Spyder (PKA Pydee, the Scientific PYthon
>> Development EnviRonment), I've just wrote a simple test with PyQt4 and
>> QScintilla:
>> http://spyderlib.googlecode.com/files/qscitest.py
>>
>> This simple test shows two things (maybe bugs?):
>> 1. QScintilla widget is very slow when writing long lines (it gets
>> better when wrapping is turned on, but it's still far slower than its
>> wxPython counterpart)
>> 2. when a long line is written, horizontal scroll does not allow to see
>> the end of the line... that is quite disappointing.
>>
>> So my questions are:
>> a. Are these issues known bugs?
>
> I'll take a look.
>
>> b. Is there a way to improve performance without switching to
> QTextEdit...?
>
> If QTextEdit is all you need then you should use it.
>
> Phil

Actually I'm really using QScintilla features like code completion,
brace matching, markers and syntax coloring.
So switching to QTextEdit would require a lot of work and I'm sure
you'll agree that a debugged QScintilla is the best choice for all
than to develop another module based on QTextEdit to fit only my
needs.

Thanks for taking the time to look at this.

Cheers,
Pierre