[PyQt] actual vendorid status

Phil Thompson phil at riverbankcomputing.com
Fri Aug 28 14:52:45 BST 2009

On Wed, 26 Aug 2009 19:47:58 +0200, Mailing List SVR
<lists at svrinformatica.it> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> a simple question here
> http://www.riverbankcomputing.com/software/vendorid/intro I read:
>
> "The motivation for the VendorID package was following condition in
> Trolltech's commercial Qt license agreement: Applications may not pass on
> functionality which in any way makes it possible for others to create
> software with the Licensed Software. "
>
> Actually qt is lgpl so is vendoid yet needed to distribute commercial
pyqt
> applications? If i buy a pyqt license have I to apply also vendorid or I
> can for example distribute my app as pyo file without no other
restriction?

LGPL is just one of the Qt licenses. It´s still an issue for the
commercial Qt and PyQt licenses.

VendorID is just an option for dealing with the issue. You need to make
sure your users don´t start developing their own applications with the
version of Qt and PyQt you ship with your application. There is no
"correct" solution because it depends on the nature of your application and
your users.